My love and weakness for kohls cannot be put to words. One can read my post on “Finding the Perfect One” to understand its well deserved importance in my life. After trying out a lot of kohls also, I was not contempt either due to their staying power or value for money or pigmentation etc. I had been lately using Maybelline Colossal Kajal which was very good for its price but I wanted more. I had heard good reviews about the Maybelline gel liner from one of my friends Neetu, so I decided to pick one on my last trip to the ‘Beauty Centre, Khar’ the mecca of all beauty products in Mumbai. Ohh! That’s a different world and I cant explain how my heart melts down seeing a three floor cosmetic center.
Product Claims: (From Maybelline’s Website)
- Only our oil-free formula can hold highly concentrated pigments in a clear gel base.
- So color is more intense and lines resist wear for hours.
- Smudge-proof and Water-proof.
- The most intense line for lasting drama.
Usage Instruction: (From Maybelline’s Website) Use gel liner and begin at the inner eye. Extend along lash line, continuing up towards the brow.
What it contains: Not mentioned anywhere
Quantity: 2.8 gms
My Experience with PRODUCT
Before making a purchase decision I decided on reading reviews. But almost all the reviews about it on various blogs were in context of usage as eyeliner but not as kajal on waterline. So my curiosity frankly wasn’t satiated. Even when I visited the outlet, the SA told it is used as eyeliner and may not be used as kohl for waterline. I got disappointed but still thought of giving it a try. In the worst case it would solve the purpose of eyeliner at least were my last thoughts :P. After picking this up from beauty center I went to Shoppers Stop to get MAC/Chambor kohl. The SA there was wearing excellent pigmented black kohl on her water line. So I asked her the brand, and you cannot imagine the joy her answer gave me. She said it was not kohl per say, but was Maybelline Gel liner and I won’t need a separate kajal if I have this. That’s all my wallet wanted to hear that time: P. I left the store empty handed (so very rare :D)
This product had such a good timing in my life. I was about to leave to a vacation to Thailand in next few days. And to bother about a faded or smudged kajal or worry about touch ups was literally the last thing I wanted to do. Practically speaking, you can’t manage touch ups or re-do while you are out on vacation sightseeing, eating, shopping and running across streets.
And this little thing took off all the worries literally. It comes in a very cute small tub and an extremely comfortable to use brush. The length and make of the brush is such that it gives you good control allowing you to be creative. The color of the gel is absolute black, heavy pigmentation I must say. I use contact lenses so I was very careful and apprehensive but it did not sting my eye. The consistency is like a thick pressed gel and it dries after application in seconds. So there are less likely chances that if you apply lot and lot of gel then after drying tiny particles may tear off and fall into your eyes. Yes, that is a possibility but very remote and you can always get that gunk out of your eyes. What makes me take this lightly? Well, the staying power has made me biased I guess. It literally stays without touch ups for 5-6 hrs. After that it will fade a little but not smudge or bleed through corners of your eyes. My suggestion is to color your waterline in parts and move to next part only after coloring previous one to satisfaction. I would not suggest gliding the gel on entire eye again and again to get desired thickness or blackness. This will result to uneven application and the brush may wipe off the already applied gel in the course of thickening it.
- Extremely well pigmented, blacky black
- Stays fresh like up to 5-6 hours on waterline
- Stays even more if used as eyeliner
- Doesn’t smudge
- Doesn’t bleed out from corner of eye
- The brush gives good control to give various shapes & looks to your eyes.
- Can be used as Kajal and eyeliner as well
- Dries out quickly unlike liquid eyeliner
- Can easily control the thickness or quantity of gel you want to apply
- Makes you go creative with your eye makeup
- Very little is used so should go long way
- Quantity is very good for the price.
- Cute tub packing
- Not as easy to apply when compared with other twist up kajals (But frankly you will get used in few days)
- Requires more care using and applying
- The staying could be better (Yeh Dil Maange More!)
- The dry particles can fall in your eyes and irritate them (less likely)
Will I re-purchase again?
Yes. I am in love with this one. By far, this is the best kajal I have used. May be I will purchase the black and silver swirl gel variant of this.
Would I recommend it to others?
Yes. I recommended (actually bought it) for my tom boy sister. Within few days of application she has become a fan of this one which is an aceivement in itself.(she was against it initially) 😀
Overall Rating: 4.5/5
Availability: Online stores and beauty stores
Have you tried Maybelline Eye Studio Lasting Drama Gel Eye Liner?
- Maybelline Lasting Drama Swirl Gel Liner (Silver and Black) Review (thenailartandbeautydiaries.wordpress.com)